Chickpeas in Ginger Sauce by Presvytera Rebecca
- 4 cups of cooked chickpeas with 1 cup of liquid
- 1/4 cup of light vegetable oil
- 2 cups of minced onions
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of finely shredded ginger root
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon of mango powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each of red and black pepper
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Heat oil in large pan. Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until light brown. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
Add garlic and ginger, reduce heat to medium and saute for additional 2 minutes.
Add coriander, cardamom, mango powder, and peppers. Mix until ingredients are combined.
Add chopped tomatoes, and cook until the oil begins to separate from the tomato-spice mixture (about 6 minutes).
Add one cup of the chickpea liquid, salt, and 1/2 cup of water.
Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until mixture is the consistency of a pulpy gravy.
Add chickpeas and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
Turn off heat and serve with topped with sliced onions and shredded green chili.